THE OFFICIAL DIRECTORY FOR EAST GRINSTEAD
Whatever you are looking for, East Grinstead probably has it.
As a not for profit organisation we list free of charge all the businesses in the town (any missing will soon be added) to help residents and visitors keep things local.
RH & RW Clutton has been in the business of Land Agency and Surveying since at least 1743, which allows us to claim the mantle of the UK’s oldest firm of Land Agents.
Our key areas of expertise span:
Rural Estate Management
Commercial Property Agency
In addition, we can offer a wide range of related professional services to our clients.
Whatever your property needs at RH & RW Clutton you can rely on our professional perspective and personal service.
The exact starting date of the Firm is unknown but, we do know that William Clutton was taken on as an apprentice to one Robert Chatfield of Cuckfield in West Sussex (b. 1698). Robert practised as a Surveyor for many years and although no records survive prior to 1744 it is reasonable to suppose that he was in business many years before that time.
William Clutton (b. 1740), was the third son of the Rev. Ralph Clutton, vicar of Horsted Keynes. The Rev. Ralph had moved to Sussex from the family home in Cheshire.
Robert Chatfield had a son who died young, and a daughter, Sarah, who married William Clutton. William clearly worked hard and took over the business from his father in law, who retired in 1765. At this point the firm changed its name from Robert Chatfield to William Clutton.
William Clutton developed a prosperous country and land agents business which he conducted from his house, Ockenden Hall, at Cuckfield, held from the Burrell family. It is known that one of his main clients were the Trustees of Smiths Charity, for whom Robert Chatfield was acting at least as early as 1762. William continued in business until his death in 1826 at the age of 86. His son, also called William, had been trained in the surveying profession by his father, and was made a partner of the firm in 1790. To reflect this addition the name of the family firm changed to William Clutton and Sons that year. William Junior moved to Hartswood near Reigate in Surrey, a house that his father bought from Lord Gwydir, a client of the firm. The land agency business then transferred from Cuckfield to Hartswood and William Junior took over the running of the firm.
William Junior had five sons; Robert, Ralph, John, Henry and William. Robert, John and Henry followed into their father’s firm; Robert in 1825 at the age of 24, John in 1827 at the age of 18 and Henry, was made a partner in 1838 at the age of 24. William Junior died in 1839 and the three brothers continued in business for another 12 years until 1851 when John retired from the partnership, having by then set up his own business in London managing among others, the Smiths Charities Kensington Estate.
On John’s retirement the firm underwent its fourth name change to R & H Clutton and under Robert and Henry’s direction continued to practise from the Surrey base.
The final name change to RH & RW Clutton, took place in 1875 when Robert and Henry’s nephew, Ralph William joined the firm and was made a partner. Henry had already stepped down from the partnership in 1856 and Robert continued until 1877 when he retired. Ralph William continued as the sole principal until 1916 when he brought in Cyril Stone. The direct involvement with the Clutton family ended in 1923 on Ralph William’s death.
Cyril Stone continued for twenty years under his own steam bringing in to the partnership George Raikes (1936 – 1989), Henry Eeles (1945 – 1961), Anthony Duveen (1952 – 1987) and Guy Courage (1955 – 1972).
In the early 1950s the firm moved from Reigate to a new office at Stone House in Judges Terrace East Grinstead and then in 1955 to its present base at 92 High Street, East Grinstead. Interestingly the premises was formerly a Doctors home and surgery and the Partners had to apply to the Lands Tribunal to have the restriction against office use lifted.
Following the retirement of Cyril Stone (1956) and Henry Eeles (1961), the triumvirate of George Raikes, Tony Duveen and Guy Courage took the firm forward over a 25 year post war period when many rural estates were undergoing major changes. The partnership was joined by Christopher Schooling (1971 – 2007) and Timothy Hutchings (1974 – 2009), and our present Senior Partner, Timothy Raikes became a Partner in the firm in 1974.
As a company RH & RW Clutton can boast a number of unique attributes but two, in particular, stand out; firstly, we have been managing the Henry Smith Charity’s agricultural portfolio since 1762 and secondly, since the founding of the business there have been only 17 partners, clocking up an outstanding total of 545 years service for the company. This demonstrates that tradition and continuity along with a willingness to embrace modern technique and increasing technology, have created the successful surveying business that is RH & RW Clutton.